Sunday 15 May 2011

Ethiopia


The Ethiopian Flag
(SIGI, 2011)

I was originally going to do a post today on Burma, but decided I was much more compelled to do a post on Ethiopia. I figured that because I've studied Burma briefly in school and I thought I should learn more about a country I know absolutely nothing about.

Ethiopia is actually regarded as one of Africa's most politically stable countries (BBC, January 22, 2011) but that does not mean that they have not had their share of unstable governments, coups, and wars. It was not until 1994 that Ethiopia got its first Constitution, and in 1995 the first multi party elections were held (The World Factbook, April 25, 2011). In December 2000 a peace treaty ended a border war with Eritrea that began in the late 1990's. However, there are ongoing conflicts over the border that could disrupt the peace that was forged (BBC, January 22, 2011).


Meles Zenawi
(BBC, January 22, 2011)
While Ethiopia may have multi party elections that by no means signifies that they are peaceful. In May 2005 the Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front led by Meles Zenawi won the elections and this set off a wave of violence. People who supported the opposition went to the street in protest and as a result 36 people were killed and hundreds of people were arrested. In November of that year 46 people died in further violence (BBC, January 22, 2011). It saddens me to much that people can do that to each other, that they kill each other over an election. We just had an election here in Canada and while I disagree with the views of people who voted Conservative I would never harm them. Even though Zenawi's win in 2005 sparked violence it did not stop him from running and winning again in 2010 (BBC, January 22, 2011). 

According to BBC Ethiopia is one of Africa's poorest states. Their biggest export is coffee, and their economy is mostly based on agriculture, which depends on rainfall to be successful. About two thirds of Ethiopians are illiterate, which is just shocking (BBC, January 22, 2011). Imagine how difficult life would be if you were unable to read and write. I feel that being taught basic reading and writing skills should be a basic right, people need to read to be informed and educated. I was completely astounded and impressed by what I read on UNICEF's website. In 2004 a group of Ethiopian children got together and put out a survey to find out who wasn't attending school and why they weren't. Members of this group, which is called the Ethiopian Youth Forum interviewed 550 children. They did this in support of a movement across the country for free primary education. What they found from their survey was that 69 percent of the children interviewed did not attend school because their parents could not afford to send them to school. 29 percent stated that their parents could not afford school supplies. Some of the other reasons given were that they had to stay home to do housework, carry water, having to walk too far, and having no one to take them to school. Because of these reasons 7.8 million Ethiopian children do not attend school, 4 million of them being girls. I can't believe that so many Ethiopian children are going without education. I have a firm belief that if people are not educated it will be very difficult for a country to progress. It was nice to see that the Ethiopian government has made it a goal to give each child free primary education by 2015 (UNICEF, June 15, 2006). Lets hope that they reach this goal.

I am always very disturbed when I find out how women in third world countries are being treated. I have yet to find a third world country in which women are treated equally to men and are not subject to abuse because they are seen as "lesser" beings. Unfortunately, Ethiopia is no different. In 1999 the World Bank estimated that 88 percent of rural women and 69 percent of urban women believe that their husbands have the right to beat them (SIGI, 2011). WHAT!? That just makes me so angry, women need to have a better view on themselves before they can expect to be treated equally. Now I know that they probably think this because of the society they live in, but it makes me angry non the less. The family code in Ethiopia is not favourable towards women either, and although the minimum age for marriage is 18 younger girls get married frequently. In fact, the UN estimated that 30 percent of girls between the ages of 15 and 19 were either married, divorced, or widowed. Ethiopia also has a high rate of maternal mortality, and this is in direct relation to the fact that young girls are giving birth (SIGI, 2011). I've said this before and I'll say it again, women need equal rights before a country can progress.

To conclude, I wasn't really surprised by what I found when researching Ethiopia, except when reading about the brave group of children who launched that education survey. I still can't believe that. I wish children and teenagers in Canada were that committed to education.